Wednesday, February 3, 2010

#41 Metropolis - truly inspiring, almost entirely unwatchable...

#41 Metropolis: We shall build a tower that will reach to the stars
1927. dir. Fritz Lang, starring Alfred Abel, Gustav Fröhlich, Brigitte Helm.

Seen it before? No.

Great political message...amazing creation of setting - a pretty realistic looking future city considering 1927. Life imitates art imitates life...The wealthy control everything. The workers are treated poorly. A voice (Maria) of reason and conscience finally tries to do something to make things better for the poor...and a mad scientist has to go and build a crazy (but eerily similar looking) robot to undo the good...

Unfortunately this movie is why I can't believe that people actually went to the movies when there were no sounds...Now, don't get me wrong...I was thoroughly surprised by Charlie Chaplin's The Kid and even Buster Keaton's The General was OK...but this "restored" copy of the film was not very well restored (in my humble opinion) and it irritated me that there was clearly more dialogue than was written on the black cards inserted throughout the film.

Would I watch it again? Only if they restore it further
Would I own it? Nah, not my thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment