Tuesday, April 6, 2010

#84 Glory - a ballad for otherwise unsung heroes

1989. dir. Edward Zwick, starring Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, Cary Elwes, Morgan Freeman, Andre Braugher.

Seen it before? Yes.

Yes, Sam, we DID have to watch this movie in hs history class.

When I was younger I wanted to watch every single Matthew Broderick movie and this was one I watched...though not in 1989. Have I mentioned that I hate it when attractive men get hurt in movies or television shows? I think so...this was no exception...Denzel's whipping scene where you see the tear come from his eye...it crushes me every time.

Since Sam already summed up the movie I'll move on to the motivations behind people's actions...we can already figure out the reason behind Robert Gould Shaw's actions - treating his childhood friend turned volunteer soldier like all the rest to avoid favoritism, making sure his men were equipped properly since they were not given the proper shoes or guns, not accepting pay because the men were not getting equal amount of money as the white soldiers, etc. Noble, honest, Shaw was portrayed as a great man who was fighting for a great cause. But why did his father volunteer him for such a responsibility as commanding the first troop of black soldiers? Was it because he didn't think his son would actually have to go into combat? The asshole white soldiers...COME ON! The black soldiers are on the same freaking side! Why treat them with such disrespect? ARGH!

The battle scenes were excellent considering no CGI was used. I loved Cary Elwes in this too. Especially when he called Robert on being unkind to the men and the line about the Irish...HILARIOUS!

See it again? Yes
Own it? I would
Last thoughts...Yes, Sam, it would appear Morgan Freeman hasn't aged in the last 20 years...I think he's a robot...

No comments:

Post a Comment