Saturday, April 17, 2010

#89 My Neighbor Totoro - My goodness Japanese animators have amazing imaginations...

1988. dir. Hayao Miyazaki, starring Noriko Hidaka, Chika Sakamoto. Japanese with subtitles.

Seen it before? No.

The third of the Japanese animated films and probably the kid-friendliest of them all. A family moves to a new home where the girls encounter strange creatures, a strange boy neighbor and his grandmother. Fantasy comes to life as the strange creatures help the girls grow trees, mysteriously appear (and disappear) and make life generally more interesting.

Daniel liked the movie and was so upset the following day when I told him we couldn't watch it again because I returned it...I wouldn't mind letting him watch it again...it was a bit weird but you know what? Kids come up with weird ideas in their imaginations so I'm on board with this.

FYI there IS a mother but she's in the hospital...what is it with Disney movies and the lack of mothers...yes, I realize this isn't Disney per say but they did pick it up and redistribute it...and the girls DO have a mom but she's really not in the picture (much).

Watch it again? Sure
Own it? I don't know about that...
another FYI...Daniel seemed to get the movie despite it being entirely in Japanese (with English subtitles, of course)

No comments:

Post a Comment