Saturday, March 6, 2010

#63 Full Metal Jacket - Note to self: Don't bring jelly doughnuts into boot camp

1987. dir. Stanley Kubrick, starring Matthew Modine, Vincent D'Onofrio, Adam Baldwin, R. Lee Ermey.

Seen it before? Parts of it.

While Sam thinks the first twenty minutes of this movie are hilarious I found them sad. Not knowing what life is really like in boot camp I found myself wondering what exactly my friends in the armed services endured in their first weeks of boot camp (it doesn't matter if they were marines or in the navy). If, like in this movie, you are made to feel like the lowest of the low with the thinking "that which does not kill you can only make you stronger" then I say I should be like Vincent D'Onofrio's character and go mad and kill the drill sergeant and myself for I could not bear to be treated in such a poor fashion.

That being said...why wasn't Joker (Modine) counseled after he witnessed Pyle committing a murder/suicide? Did the government not know at that time what PTSD was? Or did they know but not counsel?

Joker was an interesting character for sure. Wearing a peace sign on his helmet but also stating that he was born to kill...I found him to be a coward when the Vietnamese sniper girl asked him to kill her and he did...Sorry to those of you who haven't seen this movie.

See it again? No thanks...
Acknowledge that it's a good movie? Yes
Did you know? Vincent D'Onofrio was THOR in Adventures in Babysitting?!?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment