Wednesday, May 26, 2010

#108 La Strada - Wow...Anthony Quinn was young once.

1954. dir. Frederico Fellini, starring Anthony Quinn, Giulietta Masina. Italian w/ subtitles.

Seen it before? No.

And let me tell you, his character was an A-hole!!! I didn't like how he treated Gelsomina (his traveling companion and sidekick). I don't care that he fed her and gave her a place to sleep! What was with her sister dying (I am pretty sure that was what was implied at the beginning)? How? Why? What did he do to her? And what was her mother thinking selling her off to the man who came back to report that her other daughter (the prettier one apparently) was dead? ARGH!

I didn't like this movie, but probably because I didn't get it. Gelsomina was weird...I'm not sure what she would be diagnosed with in present day but there was definitely something off about her. Also, you didn't know who to root for. Was there a protagonist? Was Gelsomina in love with Zampano? No, I didn't ruin any of this film for you so if you're confused to go ahead and watch it!

See it again? Probably just to clear up any confusion
Own it? Nah

No comments:

Post a Comment