Saturday, January 2, 2010

#2 Monsters, Inc.

2001. dir. Pete Docter. starring Billy Crystal, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi.
Seen it before? Too many times to count.

We were supposed to be at UIC watching the Flames play basketball but it wasn't meant to be and so we ended up sitting at home with Daniel eating popcorn and watching what is probably Daniel's favorite movie while he's two years old.

Disney movies tend to always have some sort of message, political or otherwise...even now the movie can be deemed relevant with the energy crisis we are facing. It's not high on my reasons for watching the movie...again and again and again and surprisingly neither is Daniel. I like the characters, Mike and Sully. I especially like the amazing way that Pixar created a world of monsters that lives in tandem with our world and turns the tables around making monsters afraid of children. I find it hilarious that Daniel picked up on one line uttered by the little girl "Boo" --->BUCKET!

My favorite scene is, well, I have two. The first is the scene where Mike and Sully are at home with Boo and have to figure out what to do with her; the second is the moving door segment. Leave it to Disney to make each door a different country. Personally I would love to go to Disney World and ride a roller coaster of the doors...but if it's all animated I think I'll have to pass...when Disney Quest was opened in Chicago I got terribly ill from motion sickness on the Hercules ride.

The movie is great. The outtakes, which we did not watch but I have seen, are even better, proving once again that even cg movie actors screw up. It's amazing the difference between the original written version and the version that ended up in the final movie. The 2-disc dvd set has made it so the extras in the cinema version are on the second disc. You don't get to see the musical Mike created. Definitely get the 2-disc set and watch the second disc to see Mike's new car and John Goodman and Billy Crystal singing the song that plays during the end credits.

Would I see it again? And again and again and again...
Would I make it part of my collection? It already is....hey, put that thing back where it came from, or so help me!

No comments:

Post a Comment