Wednesday, February 10, 2010

#45 The Conversation - Shirley who knew?!?!?

1974. dir. Francis Ford Coppola, starring Gene Hackman, Cindy Williams, John Cazale, Allen Garfield, Frederic Forrest.

Seen it before? No.

The plot seemed simple...a man who is good at intercepting conversations overhears a plan that sounds like one thing and ends up being totally different. He's wracked with guilt over an assignment gone wrong which leads him to push away anyone who wants to get close to him: his girlfriend (Teri Garr), his assistant, even his neighbor. Not wanting history to repeat itself he goes above and beyond his initial orders.

This movie bored me to tears in terms of pacing...I kept finding myself thinking, "is it over yet?" (must be a Coppola thing - read Lost in Translation - but the finale was different than I expected and that's all I really have to say about that...Harrison Ford was in this movie too but not a first billed player. Cindy Williams always seemed just so sweet as Shirley in Laverne and Shirley so it bothered me that she would be having an affair (she is married in the film). I also found myself thinking, since Gene Hackman's character was 44 on his birthday, "why does Gene Hackman look so old?" Turns out he was 44 when the movie was made...in other words, the cranky man IS old. Harrison Ford at the same age or Sean Connery he ain't!

Watch it again? Don't believe so
Own it? Um, no

No comments:

Post a Comment