Saturday, February 13, 2010

#47 Batman Begins - starring the American Psycho

2005. dir. Christopher Nolan, starring Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Katie Holmes, Gary Oldman, Cillian Murphy, Tom Wilkinson.

Seen it before? Yes.

Watching this movie after having watched American Psycho just creeps me out...Batman is supposed to be the good guy but Christian Bale makes him seem like Patrick Bateman - especially when he is playing the dashing Bruce Wayne. This version of the beginning of the Batman is probably the darkest I have seen. You didn't see Adam West's Batman this bitter. He was benevolent, witty, and charming. And sure Michael Keaton's Batman was bitter about how his parents were killed (who wouldn't be) but not to this extent.

Cillian Murphy is creepy but I think Chad Michael Murray (who is practically Murphy's doppleganger) could have done the role just as well. I love Gary Oldman in this movie and hate Liam Neeson's character...in fact, before this movie I hadn't even known of Batman's enemey Ra's Al G'ul or however you spell it. I had heard of the Scarecrow, of course. The thing about Neeson's character was that he was a bad guy who was trying to get rid of a city because it had turned bad...in his mind, to the point of no redemption. He was getting rid of the scum of the earth...and, unfortunately, willing to risk the people who were still good...I was telling Sam while watching that I didn't think Katie Holmes did such a bad job. It's not like she had much to work with. I like Michael Caine as Alfred but he seems too young and too full figured to be Alfred. I always envision Alfred to be a slight tall old man.

Clearly Chicago moments - UNITRIM building, Marina Towers, Lower Wacker, Arkum Asylum, I mean, The Merchandise Mart

Watch it again? Yes, this time I'll try to channel Laurie from Little Women instead of Patrick from American Psycho...
Already own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment