Thursday, February 11, 2010

#46 Planet Of The Apes - oh earthlings, what the hell did you do?

1968. dir. Franklin J. Schaffner, starring Charlton Heston, Roddy McDowall, Kim Hunter, Maurice Evans.

Seen it before? No.

This movie is hilarious because apes are in charge of a planet and humans have evolved to not being able to speak...a reversal of the world today, how ironic. If you take the movie too seriously you feel beaten down by a seemingly political agenda. If you take it as entertainment you find yourself going Damn that Charlton Heston is good looking but the man can't act...oh crap, I think I agree with Sam again on this one. I remembered that Roddy McDowall was in this movie but forgot he was actually one of the apes. Like Sam I thought the movie was set in what looked like the southwestern part of the USA.

Cute moment - when Charlton Heston kisses Zira
Most annoying character - Dr. Zaius...speaking of which, even though I am not as "schooled" on the Simpsons as my husband is I couldn't get this song out of my head for some reason.
No, I didn't know that it was earth...the movie was made before I was a thought...and I didn't watch Marky Mark's remake either...

Would I watch the original again? Sure, I found it both sad yet funny
Would I watch the remake? I heard it was awful
Last thoughts...CRIKEY there was a television series?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment