Tuesday, February 23, 2010

#57 All About Eve - the precursor stalker movie to SWF

1950. dir. Joseph L. Mankiewicz, starring Bette Davis, Anne Baxter, George Sanders, Celeste Holm.

Seen it before? No.

First of all this was another movie where all I could hear was the song, "Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes. Secondly, Bette Davis scares me. Her look is intimidating and her presence commanding. She apparently was the nicer of the two (Joan Crawford being the other of the two). And she is my hero for never saying anything bad about her nemesis...for example [commenting on the death of long-time nemesis Joan Crawford] You should never say bad things about the dead, you should only say good . . . Joan Crawford is dead. Good. (imdb.com)

I KNEW that Eve was up to no good! Who just drops everything to follow an actress, I don't care how good the actress is! And can I just say that Bill (Gary Merrill) is my favorite leading man! You have to watch the movie to see why but he just made me very happy! Marilyn Monroe is just beautiful and this was her eleventh film so she was not quite the sex siren she would later be known for, although DAMN did she have stage presence...even though it was a little part. I worried about the character Karen but she ended up being the good friend Margo needed. The movie ended up being the 'how many people can stab each other in the back' movie for me.

Would I see it again? Yes, and with pleasure
Character I loathed? EVE
Would I own it? if it was a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment