Sunday, March 21, 2010

#72 The Killing - FINALLY a Kubrick movie I LIKE!

1956. dir. Stanley Kubrick, starring Sterling Hayden, Coleen Gray, Vince Edwards, Marie Windsor.

Seen it before? No.

The premise is one you've probably heard before...a man (Sterling Hayden) wants to go legit and needs to pull off one last heist before he runs off with his sweetheart. As with other movies (like The Italian Job remake with Mark Wahlberg) there's a bit of a glitch...or two.

So there's a guy on the inside, one of the story lines that you actually can't just tune out, unfortunately, and he has a wife who makes me look like the best wife in the world...even on my bitchiest of days...and she is just grating (played by Marie Windsor) and she's a cheater, lazy, and a taker. In other words, I hate her and I don't know why George (Elisha Cook) stays married to her...she treats him SO poorly! Of course, being the inside guy, he's integral to the plan...but he confesses to his wife about what's going to happen and you can just imagine how that goes over with the higher ups in charge of the scheme.

I know that's a lot of information but I promise you I haven't even scratched the surface with characters and the entire plot. I will give you a hint...Horses, horses, horses, horses (sorry, couldn't help myself I was just thinking of Sleepless in Seattle when Meg Ryan is driving to her fiance's parents' house).

See it again? Yes, just in case I missed something
Own it? I don't know, is that even possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment