Sunday, March 21, 2010

#73 The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - Which one was Ugly?

1966. dir. Sergio Leone, starring Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, Lee Van Cleef.

Seen it before? No.

A few things went through my mind regarding this movie so I'll share them...they aren't in order...
- Quentin Tarantino gets a lot of his ideas from these Westerns eh?
- Eli Wallach was in Mystic River, which we just watched, and is the old man named Arthur in The Holiday with Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz. It's just hilarious seeing him play a young guy with jet black hair. First of all, he is dubbed "the ugly". How that's even possible is beyond me...he's not ugly. He isn't good either for that matter but he's definitely not ugly. I loved how he had the laundry list of charges against him that earned his captors more money for turning him in. I loved that despite not liking 'Blondie' he couldn't just leave him.
- Clint Eastwood at 36 yrs old is so freaking hot! I couldn't stand seeing him hurt but that's not changed in the almost thirty years I've been alive and watched attractive men on screen getting hurt. The blisters were just painful to watch! I know he was good, but Sam's right, the guy killed a bunch of people with no questions asked...how can he be good?
- The Bad is named "Angel" IRONY (in a sing-song voice)...
- The Civil War made the hunt for $200,000 practically impossible for the three guys. They kept crossing paths with it to the point of comedy.
- Was this supposed to be super serious? Because there were a lot of parts that seemed comic relief

Sam shocked me when he told me this was #4 out of 250. All I could say was, "REALLY!??!" How is that even possible? It was good. It was what I thought it was going to be. The theme song was, well, CLASSIC is pretty much the only word I can think of...and overplayed, okay, so maybe there were two words.

Watch it again? Yes, why the hell not
Except for...the blistered face...I can't take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment