Monday, March 22, 2010

#77 Snatch: It's not a tickling competition

2000. dir. Guy Ritchie, starring Jason Statham, Brad Pitt, Alan Ford, Dennis Farina, Benicio Del Toro.

Seen it before? No.

You know, I saw this one just a couple of days ago, and already I don't quite remember everything that happened. OK, so a bunch of guys dress up like Hasidim and steal a huge hockey-puck sized diamond, and then they introduce all of them with head shots. There are like seventeen characters here so it's hard to keep up. So they all start trying to steal the diamond from each other. Oh and there's this whole bit with underground bare-knuckle boxing, and "pikeys", which is I guess UK slang for "dirty people who live in RV's". I guess it's funny. It's shot in that annoying early-2000's way with lots of quick cuts, split screens, and so forth (see also: Go, The Rules Of Attraction, Requiem For A Dream, Run Lola Run, etc.) So yeah, I wasn't a huge fan.

Position on the list: 135
The critics rave!: Roger Ebert on this movie:
What am I to say of "Snatch," Ritchie's new film, which follows the "Lock, Stock" formula so slavishly it could be like a new arrangement of the same song?
So that means... (checks list) yep I get to watch basically this same movie again! yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment