Saturday, March 27, 2010

#81 Sleuth: Gather ye blunt instruments while ye may

1972. dir. Joesph L. Mankiewicz, starring Lawrence Olivier, Michael Caine.

Seen it before? No.

One of two movies on the list that is not available on Netflix. Apparently the DVD has been out of print for some time (since 2003 or so) and it's somewhat rare, with used copies fetching upwards of 25-30 bucks on eBay. So imagine my surprise to see it on the shelf at the Wheaton library. Hooray!

Lawrence Olivier plays a murder-mystery author whose wife is having an affair with a hairdresser, played by Michael Caine. He invites him over to his house with a proposition, and... well... if you don't want this movie spoiled for you, I suggest you not read anything about it, including the IMDB page. I was shocked to discover that the IMDB lies! See the movie if you want to know what I'm talking about, but two words: "Alec Cawthorne".

I'm glad I found this at the library. Saved me the trouble of buying a used copy, or watching it on the secret, illegal Russian movie-watching website. It's a pretty great movie, worth tracking down.

Position on the list: 202
The other one that's not on Netflix: The Lion King. Library also had that one, so guess what...

No comments:

Post a Comment