Sunday, March 21, 2010

#74 Donnie Darko - I think the theatrical cut is just the right amount of crazy

2001. dir Richard Kelly, starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Holmes Osborne, Mary McDonnell, Beth Grant.

Seen it before? Yes.

Will write mine after Sam writes his.

Time travel...alternate realities...different dimensions...and a crazy rabbit. What is the real fate of Donnie Darko? Why does something falling from the sky have the most impact on this one person and those around him? For extra credit I wrote a paper about the realities (or ambiguities) of time travel in this movie. It was only really the second time I had watched the movie but I wasn't sure what was going on...This time I watched it without distraction, without taking notes. Of course that didn't stop Sam from quoting lines left and right but I don't mind that.
Things I liked - Donnie's parents...Holmes Osborne and Mary McDonnell - they take their kids as they are, they side with their kids when the kids are right, but they parent (read discipline) when need be. They are what psychologists call authoritative parents. The kids respect them but know that they can be silly (read swear - particularly the dinner conversation between Donnie and Elizabeth) in front of them.
Several great pieces of dialogue including the conversation about Smurfs - particularly Smurfette, Sparkle Motion, and the scene with his therapist while he's under hypnosis.
What I didn't like - not much really. It was just too confusing to be seen only one time.

If you want to understand this movie watch it several times and go into it with an open mind. I found I liked it much better the fifth time than I did the first or second time.

See it again? Sure, now that I think I get it.
Own it? Sam already does.

No comments:

Post a Comment