Sunday, January 10, 2010

#14 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - a movie I just couldn't stay awake for...

1964. dir. Stanley Kubrick, starring Peter Sellers, Sterling Hayden, George C. Scott, Slim Pickens.

Seen it before? No.

despite the movie being pretty damn good. The problem with having such a nice and comfortable place to view movies is that sometimes one can get too comfortable which leads to falling asleep. So for now I'll write about what I saw thus far...

I loved George C. Scott as General Turgidson. He was bumbling as he tried to explain the situation to the president of the USA in the war room and then when he got the phone call from his girlfriend I was laughing hysterically. And furthermore, anyone who can deliver the line ending with "precious bodily fluids" and not completely lose it in laughter is just a class act. I saw the H-bomb explosion and the insane man, whom I believe to be Slim Pickens, riding on the bomb as it fell out of the plane...but I will have to finish my review at a later date....

So here I am in May thinking I have written this blog post already and Sam informs me that I hadn't. The truth is I re-watched this movie the day after I fell asleep to it. I saw the crazy guy riding the bomb. It's been a while but I must say that like the other Kubrick films I am so not a fan...though, in hindsight I suppose I like this better than Full Metal Jacket! Wait til later to see just how exasperated I become at the fact that Kubrick is on this list a staggering number of times!

Watch it again? I did didn't I?
Own it? Nope

No comments:

Post a Comment