Sunday, January 10, 2010

#15 Rocky - Hey Stallone, why don't you take the marbles out of your mouth?

1976. dir. John Avildsen, starring Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire, Carl Weathers, Burgess Meredith, Burt Young.

Seen it before? Yes

Oh wait, that's how you talk!
We watched this on our Comcast On Demand feature because it was on HD and I didn't feel like watching blurry versions of people on the television downstairs. In other words we had to turn the volume up pretty high because we couldn't understand half of what Stallone was saying.

Truth be told I hadn't seen this movie in ages. I forgot that he wasn't married to Adrian from the very beginning. Three of my favorite parts were totally non-fight scenes...
-When Rocky gets interviewed inside the meat cooler
Rocky: I just want to say hi to my girlfriend, OK? Yo, Adrian! It's me, Rocky.

-Rocky and Adrian speak before the fight
Adrian: [just before the big fight] I'll be here waiting for you.
Rocky: How 'bout I stay here and you fight?

-Adrian visits Rocky's apartment for the first time
Adrian: Is this you?
Rocky: Yeah, that's me when I was eight years old, that's the Italian Stallion when he was a baby.

-Rocky cracks four eggs into a glass and drinks it

-and let's not forget the famous climbing the stairs scene when he has trained so much he doesn't get winded!

The music is quite motivating. The story was okay. Not for the faint hearted because of all the boxing. I think there was a really good reason I hadn't seen this since I was a kid. And someone's going to have to explain to me the appeal of drinking raw eggs, a trend which I remember well from when I was living in the Philippines...although I think they were raw eggs being dropped into Sarsi.

Would I see it again? I'd rather watch Brad Pitt in Fight Club
Would I add it to my collection? Nah.

No comments:

Post a Comment