Sunday, January 10, 2010

#15 Rocky: He's got some meat sign on the back of his robe...


1976. dir. John Avildsen, starring Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire, Carl Weathers, Burgess Meredith, Burt Young.

Seen it before? No.

This is one of those movies that everybody in the world had seen but me, and I'm not sure I was really missing much. You know the story. Sylvester Stallone is Rocky Balboa, who is a low-rent thug and semi-pro boxer from Philadelphia. He gets challenged to fight the world champ Apollo Creed, so he trains, and then there's a fight, "Adrian!!", the end. I really can't stand watching boxing. It's so disgusting how bloody they get.

Stallone wrote the script himself, and apparently he refused to sell it to anybody unless they let him star. Too bad, because he's the worst part of the movie. I could hardly understand him because he mumbles all of his lines. I wasn't much a fan of the script either, I think it needed to be tightened. For example, what was that scene with the 12 year old about?

I usually don't care for sports movies, and this one didn't change my mind.

Position on the list: 212
One of my all-time favorite Simpsons episodes: The Homer They Fall, which is pretty much a note-for-note parody of this movie

No comments:

Post a Comment