Sunday, January 3, 2010

#4 The Princess Bride

1987. dir. Rob Reiner, starring Cary Elwes, Robin Wright Penn, Andre the Giant, Chris Sarandon, Mandy Patinkin, Fred Savage, Peter Falk.

Seen it before? About a thousand times

Inconceivable! Sam hasn't seen this movie in it's entirety until now. Meanwhile I remember the first time I saw this was with my friend Dave K and his brothers while waiting for the Halloween fest to start at our grade school. This was the first movie I saw that made me fall in love with Cary Elwes. It led me to watch a bunch of other Cary Elwes movies done in the early nineties from Hot Shots and Robin Hood Men in Tights to the Crush.

The princess is whiny...but you would be too if you were trapped in a castle with a good looking prince wanting to marry you...oh wait, no you wouldn't. I did feel bad that she lost her love but as Maria from The Sound of Music said as she was sent off to the vonTrapps "when the Lord closes a door, somewhere he opens a window". Meanwhile the prince was obnoxious, arrogant and just wanted to start a war with the nearby town.

Billy Crystal was weird but funny; Andre the Giant was great as was Mandy Patinkin; but Wallace Shawn was a scene stealer. What I want to know, even after all these years is how did he get Inigo Montoya and Fezzik to join up with him when he was so annoying? What did he have on them? Yeah sure he paid them and fed them, but really, I would totally murder him for being annoying...

Would I see it again? Of course
Would I own it in my collection? I have a VHS but I'd love a DVD
Favorite movie line:
Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

No comments:

Post a Comment