Thursday, January 7, 2010

#9 The Wizard of Oz: Damn you WB Studio Store!

1939. dir. Victor Fleming, starring Judy Garland, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, Bert Lahr, Margaret Hamilton, Billie Burke, Frank Morgan.


Seen it before? Not in its entirety...EVER
I find it funny that I played the Wicked Witch of the West when I had never seen the entire movie. What do I mean? In eighth grade my friends decided we would go to the Halloween party we sponsored through the service club as Dorothy (Julie), the Scarecrow (Megan), Glinda (Amy), a flying monkey (George), and I was the WWW...shit I know we had a Tin Man and a Cowardly Lion but I can't remember who played which character...sorry guys and gals...Tanya had to be in it I just know it...The point is we reenacted some scenes from the Wizard of Oz and I hadn't seen it wholly.
That being said, there's no way this movie can get remade and not completely suck. The charm, the actors, the munchkins, can't be duplicated no matter how many times a midget gets duplicated (think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367594/). I can't even think of current actors who could pull off the Wizard, the Scarecrow and the Cowardly Lion.
Daniel liked it too.
Parts I've seen multiple times:
  1. The house flying in the tornado
  2. Glinda the Good Witch appears
  3. Follow the Yellow Brick Road
  4. Meeting the Scarecrow
  5. Meeting the Tin Man
  6. Meeting the Cowardly Lion
  7. Toto pulls the curtain back to reveal the Wizard
  8. Dorothy taps her ruby slippers three times and wakes up
I know it seems like the whole movie but I really never saw the part when she runs to Auntie Em because the snooty lady tries to take her dog at the beginning of the film. I never saw the first time the witch was in her castle or that the wizard told the foursome to bring back the witch's broom.
Thanks to the WBSS I will forever have "People come and go so quickly" in my mind; also, the insane thousands of ruby slipper Radko ornaments; the crazy lithographs; the weird plates; gah, it's no wonder it took this 250 movies to finally get me to watch this movie entirely.
Would I see it again? Sure
Would I add it to my collection? Sam really likes it and I'm pretty sure Daniel wouldn't mind watching it again so yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment