Thursday, January 7, 2010

#8 Diabolique --- with subtitles and I stayed awake for the whole thing!

1955. dir. Henri-Georges Clouzot, starring Simone Signoret, Véra Clouzot, Paul Meurisse. French with subtitles.

Seen it before? No.

It was good. Real good. And I loved it! Absolutely loved it. But now I'm going to be on the lookout for movies that are made today that can equal this movie. There was suspense; an ice queen; a man you just rooted would die; a woman you felt sorry for; cute kids who got into trouble because they cried wolf so many times no one would believe the truth when it finally came out; and the crazy old man who turned out to know just enough to be really awesome!

I know it is probably really difficult to write a movie script that can captivate audiences young and old. Hell, I even know I can't write that kind of movie. I'm not sure it was even just the script or the acting that made this movie for me. I really think it was the use of effects that today's movie producers have to use computer generated animation for. The white eye coverings that were like contacts to make it appear someone is out cold. The type writer. It was like watching Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart http://www.enotes.com/tell-tale-heart-text/the-tell-tale-heart but not.

A few days ago I wrote about how the more things change the more they stay the same. At that point I was talking about His Girl Friday and the decoy guy. Now I'm talking about this movie and the fact that women in movies who are looking into something that terrifies them do not turn on the freaking lights! I know, I know, suspense...but really, if that's all your movie has, it's not enough! This movie had it and more. Put Sharon Stone away and watch this movie. You won't regret it!

Would I see it again? Absolutely!
Would I add it to my collection? YES and you should too!

No comments:

Post a Comment